Latest from Twitter
Survey reveals - managers need to try harder
Employees would rather suffer a hangover or receive a credit card bill than talk to their boss.
by Panos Papakostis | 13th Feb 2012
Leaders lack empathy with their staff, have poor leadership skills and a third of them are ineffective, according to global research, by talent management firm DDI.Lessons for Leaders from the People Who Matter includes data from an online survey undertaken for DDI by Harris Interactive.
This polled more than 1,250 full-time employees in non-management positions in the UK, US, Australia, Canada, China, India, Germany and South East Asia (Malaysia, Philippines and Singapore), and found they would rather suffer a bad hangover, do housework or see their credit card bill arrive in the mail than face the prospect of sitting through a performance discussion with their boss.And only 40% of respondents report that their boss never damages their personal self-esteem, leaving 60% saying they do sometimes, most of the time or always.
The report found one in three respondents (34%) only sometimes or never considers their leader to be effective, and over a third (37%) are only sometimes or never motivated to give their best by their leader.
The majority of respondents not currently working for the best manager they ever worked for (53%) said they would be 20% to 60% more productive if they were working for their 'best ever' boss, and a quarter (26%) said they would be 41% to 60% more productive. In other words, for every two to three people managed by their 'best ever' leaders, there would be a productivity gain equal to a whole new extra person.
Simon Mitchell, director at DDI UK and one of the report authors, said:
"We wanted to hear how the customers of leaders themselves saw their managers and bosses. These findings should be of enormous concern to any business. They show that leaders are failing in their obligation to employees and, therefore, their organisation. The consequences of managers and bosses with poor leadership skills are enormous, and the impact good leaders have in terms of employee motivation and productivity is significant."Comparing the results from people with the best and worst managers (based on respondent perceptions), those reporting they felt motivated to give their best leapt from 11% to 98%, and those reporting that their manager does a good job helping them become more productive went from 5% to 94%.
If you want to improve the way you engage with your staff and learn the skills that will allow you to get positive results out of difficult conversations, book on our one-day ‘Managing Difficult Conversations’ course.
» Law Society Back TCM Model Resolution Policy
8th May 2013» Delegates get engaged at TCM’s new one day course
3rd May 2013» TCM fight toxic conflict at CIPD HRD 2013
26th Apr 2013» National Mediation Awards 2013
4th Apr 2013» TCM Launch Model Resolution Policy
27th Mar 2013
» The TCM Group at Executive Grapevine 2013
27th Mar 2013» Mediation and Economic Growth Webinar
8th Mar 2013» Mediation guide launched by ACAS & CIPD
14th Feb 2013» Mediation is critical to employee engagement says David Macleod
8th Feb 2013» The TCM Group expands into Malta
31st Jan 2013» TCM to exhibit at two major HR conferences in 2013
31st Jan 2013» UK Conflict Coaching Service Launched
20th Dec 2012» Police Federation promote mediation for tackling discrimination
16th Dec 2012» David Liddle to speak at national mediation seminars
16th Dec 2012» Topshop Win Prestigious Dispute Resolution Award
30th Nov 2012» National Mediation Awards 2012: Winners Announced
3rd Oct 2012