You still have time to register for this afternoon's free webinar on 'Making Mediation a Strategic Priority': https://t.co/J94cbA8gXM
The TCM Group have been hosting The National Forum for Mediation in Higher Education at The University of London: http://t.co/EO85JYNyA8
The PMA to become an independent body
- Professional Mediators’ Association (PMA) welcomes Government proposals for extending the role of mediation.
- PMA calls on all mediators to work together to make mediation a mainstream business activity.
- Click here to join the PMA today.
Mediation is no longer the UK’s best kept secret
In November 2011, the Coalition Government published a ground breaking set of proposals ‘Resolving Workplace Disputes’ which recommends one the largest shakeups up of employment legislation in over 20 years.
Headline grabbing proposals include a major overhaul to the employment tribunal system. However, less high profile but potentially more radical changes include a significant increase in the use of mediation to resolve workplace disputes.
As a result, the professional body for all UK mediators, The Professional Mediators’ Association (PMA), has seen a significant increase in membership applications. Applications have been pouring in from mediators and UK companies who are interested in promoting mediation as the preferred system for resolving workplace and business disputes.
Join the PMA today and benefit from a special offer until the end of March 2012
If you are a mediator or if you would like to join a community of mediators, you are urged to join the Professional Mediators’ Association by visiting www.professionalmediator.org.
The benefits of membership:
- A registration and accreditation scheme for professional mediators working across the UK and Europe.
- A network of professional mediators and dispute resolution practitioners with the PMA acting as a hub.
- Clearly developed practice standards and an exacting competency framework which secures each member’s credibility.
- An online forum and repository of resources and materials for mediators through the new PMA website.
- Access to high quality mediator development days and expert workshops though the UK Mediation Academy.
The world of mediation is abuzz
UK mediators are excited about the proposed changes. Members of the PMA have known for many years just how powerful mediation is and the positive impact it has. According to the President of the PMA, David Liddle:
The Government’s response is particularly timely. Recent research undertaken by the CIPD in 2011 suggests that uncertainty over job security; increased workplace stress and disagreements in the workplace are growing. Disputes are on the rise and the resources to deal with them are stretched.
Mediation drives economic growth
Michael Farrier, Partner at Boyes Turner and steering group member of the PMA, stated:
However, much is still to be done to promote mediation as the preferred mechanism for resolving disputes. There are real challenges ahead to make mediation a mainstream business activity. We recognise that this can only be achieved by forging a partnership between the government, business and a joined up mediation profession.
- You can download original press release by clicking here.
Notes to editors
- Visit www.professionalmediator.org for more information and to download a membership pack.
- The Government is proposing to pilot a mediation network scheme for small and medium sized companies (SME’s). This publicly funded scheme is to be implemented in two separate areas, Manchester and Cambridge. The two networks, comprising of 24 small businesses each, will have access to a trained mediator recruited from the network, with the aim of enabling users within the network to access mediation at a low cost while at the same time educating communities.
- The Professional Mediators' Association exists to promote excellence in all aspects of business, workplace, and employment and consumer mediation.
- For press and media enquiries, please contact David Liddle on 020 7404 3180 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org