Practical Mediation Training for Managers, November 2009.
National Certificate in Workplace Mediation™ - 6 day
Accredited training from the mediation experts
The National Certificate in Workplace Mediation™ is the UK's benchmark qualification for workplace, employment and business mediators. The course is suitable for internal mediators along with external mediation consultants and is accredited by the OCN (Open College Network).
The overarching aim of this 6 day course is to give participants the skills and strategies to be competent, credible and effective mediators.
Learning and teaching methodsNumerous learning and teaching methods are used during the course and participants develop their knowledge through group and case study discussions and participation in role-plays. Peer-based evaluation and learning feature heavily throughout the course and this is supported by the course facilitators extensive and detailed assessment of learners progress.
Learning and reflection Independent learning and reflection, which takes place outside course hours, will also be assessed. Participants will gain expertise in mediation, negotiation, problem-solving and facilitation whilst developing the skills and competencies to work as mediators within their own organisations or as external mediation consultants.
TCM runs all of our open access NCWM courses with a maximum of 12 delegates per course. Some training companies cram their open access courses full of delegates - the result is that opportunities for one to one support maybe lost.
TCM is committed to creating a highly effective and stimulating training environment for all of our delegates. We believe that 12 delegates per course is the perfect number for promoting learning, encouraging reflection and facilitating intensive mediation practice.
The National Certificate in Workplace Mediation at a glance:
- 6 day duration (delivered as 2 blocks of 3 day study)
- 12 delegates maximum - provides an intimate and highly interactive learning environment
- OCN accredited
- A nationally recognised mediation qualification
- Delivered by mediation experts
Course StructureUpon completion of the National Certificate in Workplace Mediation, participants will have developed a highly effective framework enabling them to work as an accredited, professional workplace mediator. The certification is second to none and an increasing number of UK companies recognise the qualification as being the highest standard in the UK.
(This link opens a one page pdf file to the right of this text. This file requires adobe reader to read it)
The course is fully accredited by the Open College Network (OCN) and it is delivered by the UK's top dispute resolution experts. This course was the first of its kind in the UK and has been delivered many times over the past 10 years. It is constantly reviewed and developed to ensure that it is relevant and applicable to today's rapidly changing workplace
The course is unique as it it offers delegates:
- An in-depth analysis of the psychology of conflict along with the causes and the impact of conflict,
- An insight into the nature and role of mediation in the modern workplace,
- The key skills required by the mediator,
- Numerous tried and tested skills and strategies to assist mediators as they mediate complex employment and workplace disputes and conflicts.
Join a community of professional mediators
Upon completion of the course, delegates are qualified to join The Professional Mediators’ Association (The PMA). More information about The PMA can be found at www.professionalmediator.org
Skills gained1. Understand the causes and the nature of dysfunctional conflict at work. Participants will recognise the symptoms and expressions of dysfunctional conflict along with its underlying causes and effects.
2. Transform dysfunctional and destructive conflict into functional and co-operative dialogue.
3. Compare and contrast the various conflict management strategies available to organisations and to understand their own personal conflict management styles.
4. Understand the different stages of mediation and to demonstrate competency in managing the process in a safe and controlled manner.
5. Understand the underlying philosophy, ethos and applications of mediation so that it can be made accessible to potential mediation parties.
6. Recognise and develop strategies for overcoming potential blocks and barriers to the mediation process, including building and maintaining a commitment to mediation, identifying parties’ goals, and overcoming impasses during the process.
7. Undertake a detailed analysis of the communication process (including non-violent communication).
8. Enhance parties’ communication skills and develop core competencies in active listening, including the use of appropriate questions, reframing, funneling, mirroring and summarising.
9. Recognise and understand the standards of practice which mediators must adhere to before, during and after mediation.
Who should attend this course?
The course is suitable for internal workplace mediators and for external independent mediators. The course is also suitable for employment solicitors, HR professionals, Trade Union Officials and others who wish to benefit from having a professional mediator qualification from the UK's leading mediation trainers.
This course covers everything required to become a qualified, accredited and professional workplace mediator. A full course syllabus is available from TCM on request - 0800 294 97 87
Incredible value for money£1,795 + vat
In- House Enquiry