TCM provides the ideal environment and facilitation for mediation training. All of the tutors were excellent facilitators and role models. Thank you for a great 6 days!
Sue Smith, Internal Mediator, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
National Certificate in Workplace Mediation™ - 6 day
Become an accredited mediator with the UK's benchmark qualification for workplace mediation.
The National Certificate in Workplace Mediation is our OCN accredited flagship course, the UK's benchmark qualification for workplace, employment and business mediators.
This 6 day intensive version of the National Certificate in Workplace Mediation™ is targeted at HR professionals, business leaders, managers and consultants who are seeking a highly effective and intensive learning environment where they can gain the competence and confidence to be effective workplace mediators.
The course is fully accredited by the Open College Network (OCN) and it is delivered by the UK's top dispute resolution experts. This course was the first of its kind in the UK and has been delivered many times over the past 10 years. It is constantly reviewed and developed to ensure that it is relevant and applicable to today's rapidly changing workplace.
The National Certificate in Workplace Mediation at a glance:
- A nationally recognised mediation qualification
- Delivered by UK’s top dispute resolution experts
- OCN accredited - 9 credits at level 3
- A 6 day course over two weeks with a maximum of 12 delegates
- A free skills refresh workshop six months after the course
Learning and teaching methodsNumerous learning and teaching methods are used during the course and participants develop their knowledge through group discussions, case studies and participation in role-plays. Peer-based evaluation and learning feature heavily throughout the course and this is supported by the course facilitator's extensive and detailed assessment of learners progress.
Independent learning and reflection, which takes place outside course hours, will also be assessed. Participants will gain expertise in mediation, negotiation, problem-solving and facilitation whilst developing the skills and competencies to work as mediators within their own organisations or as external mediation consultants.
OCN London is a national qualification awarding organisation regulated by Ofqual and the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA). With 25 years’ experience of accrediting courses for a wide range of centres, we are a market leader in the recognition of learner achievement through credit-based units and qualifications.
View the PDF for a full recap of the course.
Upon completion of the National Certificate in Workplace Mediation, participants will have developed a highly effective framework enabling them to work as an accredited, professional workplace mediator. The certification is second to none and an increasing number of UK companies recognise the qualification as being the highest standard in the UK.
The course is unique as it it offers delegates:
- An in-depth analysis of the psychology of conflict along with the causes and the impact of conflict,
- An insight into the nature and role of mediation in the modern workplace,
- The key skills required to be a mediator,
- Numerous tried and tested skills and strategies to assist mediators as they mediate complex employment and workplace disputes and conflicts.
Skills gained1. Understand the causes and the nature of dysfunctional conflict at work, recognising the symptoms and expressions of dysfunctional conflict along with its underlying causes and effects.
2. Transform dysfunctional and destructive conflict into functional and co-operative dialogue.
3. Compare and contrast the various conflict management strategies available to organisations and to understand their own personal conflict management styles.
4. Understand the stages of mediation and demonstrate competency in managing the process in a safe and controlled manner.
5. Understand the standards of practice which mediators must adhere to before, during and after mediation.
6. Recognise and develop strategies for overcoming potential blocks and barriers to the mediation process.
7. Consider the relationship between conflict, power, prejudice and discrimination and to define the role of the mediator in developing an equitable and safe environment for positive dialogue.
8. Enhance parties’ communication skills and develop core competencies in active listening, including the use of appropriate questions, reframing, funnelling, mirroring and summarising.
Join a community of professional mediatorsUpon completion of the course, delegates are qualified to join The Professional Mediators’ Association (The PMA). More information about The PMA can be found at www.professionalmediator.org
The course is suitable for internal workplace mediators and external independent mediators, HR professionals, business leaders, managers and consultants. The course is also suitable for employment solicitors, Trade Union Officials and others who wish to benefit from having a professional mediator qualification from the UK's leading mediation trainers.
In order to create a highly effective and stimulating training environment, we run all of our open access 6 day NCWM courses with a maximum of 12 delegates per course.
Some training companies cram their open access courses full of delegates. We believe that 8 delegates per course is the perfect number for promoting learning, encouraging reflection and facilitating intensive mediation practice.
This course covers everything required to become a qualified, accredited and professional workplace mediator. A full course syllabus is available from TCM on request - 0800 294 97 87
£1,500 + VAT
Make a Booking
This course can be tailored to suit and delivered in-house:
In- House Enquiry
In- House Enquiry